Do you ever feel stuck?
I know I do and it can be the worst place to be – between two choices, standing at the edge of go or stay, start or stop. It takes up so much energy – and mental lode – that’s a new phrase I learned this week, mental lode. It takes so much energy to carry around unmade decisions.
Of course, I’m always looking at things from the energetic/Spiritual perspective and questioning what’s going on and what are we working on, what’s the lesson we need or want to learn and being stuck is no different. If you are even slightly awake and living life consciously, the way you move through the world is going to be different than those who are not awake. You can’t expect the answer to appear, or to be guided or even told what is the right thing or next thing to do. It’s all in the ‘doing’ that we learn what we need to learn.
Plus have you ever noticed in the world of Spiritual information that the answer is often the opposite of what we might think – consider this adage: If you’re busy, meditate longer because it gives you more time. I can attest to this one, it does work. Totally counter-intuitive, but it works.
When were talking about getting unstuck, sometimes we need to take a step before we have the answer. The answer is actually in the step. What plagues us is that we will make the wrong decision or choice. I don’t believe in wrong choices. I think everything leads us to where we need to be. I can look back on my life and see many ‘bad choices’ but today, I know that had I not made those choices I wouldn’t be who I am today or have the people in my life that I do, or the experiences that I have.
There is another piece to this which has to do with Spiritual agreements or Spiritual contracts. Sometimes the people in our lives we be stuck right along with us. Their growth won’t happen until we take the step that we need to take. I’ve seen this one in action a few (maybe more than few times) in my life.
But even with all of this, I know that taking a step can feel overwhelming or frightening, so here’s a tool I teach to my clients and students. As with all of my tools, it’s easy and simple.
Get Unstuck! Are you ready?
- Sit in a quiet space and close your eyes.
- Take a few deep breaths in and out. This allows us to connect our body and our Spirit.
- Sit in this space for a few minutes and notice how you feel, notice what’s going on in your own body.
- Don’t try to control your mind or your breath, just notice.
- After a few minutes, picture your decision out in front of you on a screen (like a movie screen or a tv screen) (If you aren’t good at visualization I’ll give you an option below.)*
- Now, you have a few options – you can envision a gauge and see what each options registers at (so ‘yes’ is 100%, ‘no’ is 0%) or you can see which one has more light on it, or you can see which one is bigger (bigger being ‘yes’, smaller being ‘no’) There’s no right or wrong way – come up with a system that works for you.
- The key is in trusting what you are seeing and taking a step.
*What if I’m not good at visualizing?
I love this approach and use it when I’m out. My 13 year old son even uses it.
- Close your eyes,
- and take two of your choices – green or red, yes or no, stay or go.
- Assign one choice to one hand and the other choice to the other hand.
- Decide if a heavier weight is ‘yes’ or ‘no’ and then with your eyes close see which hand weighs more.
- And there is your decision.
What more thoughts?
I’ve written another post, Vision + Action = Movement / Real World Tools to Get You Unstuck that shares some tangible things you can do to get unstuck – because as Joel A. Barker has said: “Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.”